Victoria, BC, British Columbia
The capital city of British Colombia in Canada, is Victoria - an appealing city replete with history and colonial building that add to its charm. The city still retains its very British air and is filled with quaint tearooms and antique stores where one can browse. A picturesque harbour skirts this very cosmopolitan city!
A visit to the world famous Butchart Gardens, a wee bit out of the city- the visit is well worth it, if only to revel in the beautiful flowers and the abundant nature.
THINGS TO DO AND SEE
- A walk around the Inner Harbour to see the pretty sail boats, listen to the street musicians and gorge on the fish and chips available at the small restaurants along the bay
- The Victoria Butterfly is just five minutes away from the Butchart Gardens - so do make a stop here to view the amazing collection of colourful butterflies and plants
- A visit to the imperial and magnificent Parliament building that are a lovely mix of Romanesque and baroque architecture
- Art lovers must stop by at the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria that is a cultural landmark and filled with art collections that will leave you in awe
- Nearby the Art Gallery is the Craigdarroch Castle - a Scottish mansion and dubbed as one of the National Historic sites of Canada. Indeed it is magnificent with its Scottish heritage and striking architecture
GRAB A BITE
Around the Inner harbor are a plethora of restaurants dishing up delectable cuisine. It stands to reason that sea food is at its best here - with the freshest of salmon and prawns being served.
Lower Johnson Street or LoJo as it's known in local parlance, is the best place to go shopping when in Victoria as there are many different shops here catering to every need.
Summer starts in early June and lasts through September with an average daily high temperature that stays above 62° F/17°C, so it pretty pleasant.
The Canadian Dollar is the currency used here, though credit cards are widely accepted.